humidity, dirt, pollution, sweat, uv and grease are all things hong kong has to damage your skin. as much as i love beach weather, it creates a lot of skin/makeup problems such as excessive sebum secretion, acne, running makeup, etc.. the list goes on.
but my number one personal pet peeve is running eyeliner. no, i didn’t just cry. no, i’m not trying out courtney love’s look. and no, it’s not a failed attempt of a smokey eye. i have the problem of melting eyeliner throughout the year, but especially in the summer – it is humid hong kong after all. the best solution for this ugly problem is eyeshadow primer. i have been using the urban decay primer potion for a few years now and it is god’s way to comfort us poor souls with oily eyelids. i’m a strong believer of “why fix it if it ain’t broken” when it comes to skincare and makeup. so when i have found the ultimate summer eye makeup rescue that does everything i need it to, i saw no need to giving anything else a chance… until i got a free sample of the nars smudge proof eyeshadow base.
i love nars. i love their products, their packaging, and pretty much everything except the price tag. i decided that i could give the eyeshadow base a go and see if it does what it actually claims to. i was pleasantly surprised!
Urban Decay Primer Potion
– brand loyalty 😛
– eyeshadow, eyeliner (even the pencils) stay put. lasts a whole day out in the sun without smudging, creasing, running
– comes in other varieties like shimmer, matte, etc.
– it sometimes gets into my lashes and dries white instead of clear (but only very very rarely)
– slightly on the thick side
NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
– matches all my other nars stuff
– does the job just as well
– only requires a thin, light coat
– dries clear
– relatively more expensive than urban decay
– the applicator doesn’t get all the product as opposed to the urban decay’s squeeze tube
i can’t decide which one i like more. i guess if i had to choose, i’d be leaning more on the urban decay as it is so much simpler to apply and i’m already too used to it. but there you have it, two great options for smudge/crease/melt-free eyemakeup this summer!